Wednesday 7 March 2012

Favourite Fictional Character

I understand that dedicating an entire post to a favourite thing is the mother of all cliches in the blogging world. But Reader, I see it as a dare to blog regularly. So here goes.

There are way too many literary and movie characters that I love, to pick a favourite. Picking a favourite child would be easier. The trick is to just let each child think they are your favourite. 


I've read this book 8 times, and it's not even close to boring yet. 
But I digress. I know with all the easter eggs and references, I've been dropping in my past posts, it would seem that I'd write this post about Jane Eyre. Reader, I'll save Jane for another blogpost, today I choose to talk about Alaska Young, from Looking For Alaska by John Green. Since I just read this book recently and was completely mind blown by her character.

 She was crazy, temperamental, messed up, self-destructive and a compulsive bitch. She was also gorgeous, clever, funny, articulate and utterly fascinating. First of all, with a name like Alaska, it's hard to say that one doesn't automatically becomes interesting. Like most of us, she was most definitely a nerdfighter! She was strong-hearted. A feminist; she never failed to cry out, "DO NOT OBJECTIFY WOMEN" when people dissed the female gender. She was always full of life and exhibited a reckless combination of adventurous and destructive behaviour, much like a hurricane to which she has often been compared to. 

SPOILER ALERT. If you haven't read the book. (Get your butt off the internet and read this book right NOW) 

It's a fact that I always get attached to tragically misunderstood characters (Severus Snape, Luke Castellan) and somehow all these epic characters die in the end causing me to feel tight-chested and teary-eyed, because yeah, it's sad. And right now I'm grovelling in the death of this epic character. 



Lastly, out of all female characters from YA Literature, I think Alaska has to be the most interesting of them all.

"I really would give you this clover. Except luck is for suckers." She pinched the runt petal between the nails of her thumb and fingers and plucked it. "There," she said to the clover as she dropped it onto the ground. "Now you're not a genetic freak anymore." -Alaska Young

No comments:

Post a Comment